Watergate House is a splendid Edwardian building that has played a significant role in British history. Most famously, in the 1940's it was GCHQ’s first home before moving to the safety of Bletchley House - enabling the great code breakers of the Second World War, Alan Turing and his team, to serve their country.
The 11,000 sqft building has now been entirely redesigned by Moholondon to become BGF’s new UK head office. Moho have taken the codebreaking history and 1940's era as the central concept in designing this highly unique office environment.
BGF provide growth and venture capital for creative entrepreneurs. They desired an environment that would reflect both their own and their clients' attitude to creativity.
Moholondon sought the skills and expertise of Artemis Interiors to fit out the project.
Moho engaged Outpost VFX film company to produce Alan Turings 'le Bombe' codebreaking machine for the 21st century as a way to present BGF's ever growing client list.
Rotating drums randomly decode letter by letter until they display a BGF client every 15 seconds.
Affectionately described as the 'Entrepreneurs Club', the ground floor space is the central hub and energy of the business. The club idea was fundamental to the whole approach of how the design will help the business function on a more informal level - a delicate balancing act between being a highly creative environment but still retaining City integrity.
An eclectic mix of vintage furniture was sourced to sit with bespoke designed pieces. Exposed concrete ceilings contrast elegantly with the reclaimed parquet flooring. Wall tiles were procured from the pre war London Underground tile manufacturer.
Main Board room mixes hand built oak tables with fluted legs to compliment the glazing.
Alan Turings codebreaking scribbles signpost the floor levels
Office floors keeps the 40's theme running throughout.
Bespoke coat rails in brass patinated to bronze combine function with decoration. These stand in front of giant illuminated reeded glass screens designed to bring artificial daylight into the basement floor.
Reeded glass was used throughout, blending various size reeds and different orientations to contemporise the classic 1940's partition glass.